We were all set, until our next issue reared its ugly head... every topic we tried to view would turn into a redirect loop error. Again, we searched Google for days and found no relief. We had all but given up, until we found the strength to go on, about a month later. We began with debugging our htaccess file that had been modified for security reasons (that is an entirely different subject we might blog about too) When that didn’t give us favorable results, back to Google we went. It turned out that for some unknown reason, we had to rename our alias to the Forum menu item from ‘forum’ to ‘support’. That was it. We solved the redirect loop error.
That was pretty much it, we were ready to golive, until we spotted duplicate posts in the forum. This might be a normal issue when you migrate from one forum to another, but for us, it was just that last nail in the coffin. Ok, not that bad, we spent about 30 minutes going through every topic and deleting the duplicate posts. Thankfully, there was only one duplicate for each topic in each forum category.
All-in-all, the entire process took us about 2 months. The actual migration on our live site, after working out all the issues took about an hour. So, not bad. If you are using Agora and are looking to use Kunena, I highly recommend it. I just hope you learn from us, and get it working sooner. Don’t give up, it will be worth it.
- Step One: Back up your site (We prefer to use Akeeba)
- Step Two: Download and install Kunena 1.5.13(it MUST be 1.5.13, no other version seems compatible)
- Step Three: Download and install Kunena Converters (see update below)
- Step Four: Run the Kunena Converter
- Step Five: Download and install Kunena 1.6.3
- Step Six: Check your topics for duplicate posts and delete them (this should be resolved with the updated migrator, but you should double check just to be sure)
We recently had another client that was using Agora and wanted to change to Kunena. Thankfully I remembered this post of ours and followed the instructions. Everything went perfectly, except that when we were done with the conversion, every first record in a topic was duplicated. It took some time, but we managed to make an update to the original Kunena Migrator Component that fixed this problem for us. (It appears that the migrator adds the Agora Topic as a Kunena Post, and then later adds that same record again)
If you are in need of this updated Kunena Convertor, please drop us an email and we can send it to you. We'd rather not make it available for direct download because although it is no longer available from the previous link we posted, (see below) we will not support the modified version and would only offer it as a resource to help someone out of the same jam that we found our selves in.
We received a lot of requests for this component migrator so we decided to offer it for download on our site.Please visit our downloads area to obtain this component.
Since this software and the process we used has become so outdated. We have decied to remove the download at this time.